If you are a British citizen or settled in the UK and want your non-EEA national spouse to come and live with you in the UK, you should apply for the UK Spouse Visa. This visa category allows your wife or husband to live and work in the UK for 2 years and 6 months. However, the immigration rules for the UK Spouse Visa are complex and it is strongly recommended that you opt for the legal services of a reputed and experienced immigration law firm.
At Milestone Solicitors, we have a dedicated team of immigration lawyers who are experienced and trained in helping married couples to establish a happy life in the UK by guiding them through the UK Spouse Visa application process.
What are the Eligibility Requirements for the UK Spouse Visa?
For married couples applying for the UK Spouse Visa, they must fulfill the following set of requirements:
- You and your spouse must be 18 years or older
- Both of you must have a subsisting and genuine relationship
- You and your spouse must intend to live together in the UK permanently
- You must meet minimum financial and accommodation requirements to provide for your spouse and children, if any, without having to depend on public funds
- Both of you must meet the English language requirements
Requirements for Proving a Subsisting and Genuine Relationship
You and your spouse will be required to demonstrate that:
- Both of you are in a civil relationship or married or have plans to live together in the UK, if otherwise
- Both of you have a long-term relationship
- You two share the responsibility of the finances and children, if any
Our immigration solicitors understand that it can be daunting for couples to prove the validity of their relationship to the authorities. That is why we prepare our clients beforehand with all the necessary details they should know to satisfactorily meet the requirements.
Once the UK Spouse Visa has been granted, your spouse will be granted 30 months period to live and work in the UK, which can be further extended for the same duration afterwards. After spending 5 years, i.e. 60 months, in the UK using the Spouse Visa, your spouse can apply for Indefinite Leave for Remain (ILR), followed by UK naturalisation for British citizenship.
Discuss your Immigration Needs with our Solicitors Today
At Milestone Solicitors, our immigration lawyers are highly regarded and are known for their skilled legal counsel and practical advice. We have helped many families of EEA nationals to obtain the UK Spouse Visa over the years, and know the right way to handle different types of cases.
For more information about the Spouse visa or to get legal guidance to apply for this visa category, contact Milestone Solicitors today to schedule an initial consultation.